Thursday, October 26

I'm better now...

Actually, I just decided that if I say I am, I might believe I am.

The thing about home schooling is that it’s a 24/7 job. I don’t have a time or place where I can drop off the kids and do what I have to do. There’s no going to the supermarket after I put them on the bus. Cleaning, laundry, cooking all has to be done regardless, and at the same time, I’m teaching. Needless to say, I’ve been feeling overwhelmed again.

Frick does not like learning phonics. I do not like teaching phonics to someone who does not like learning it. The fact that I firmly believe that it is why no one of my generation can spell does not help.

Huked on foniks wurkd fur mi!

How much do I miss Dick & Jane?

I’m the kind of person who needs a structured environment to be able to function. I researched enough before enrolling Frick in a home school program. I believe in the program. I just don’t believe that phonics is the best learning tool for my child. I’ve often wondered that if I don’t follow the curriculum EXACTLY, would they come after me? Are they sending the Phonics Police to lock me up? The pressures associated with home schooling are bad enough, now I worry about what the review board has to say about me.

But the good thing about home schooling is that I can tailor it to her needs. I still do the work in the book (paranoia?), but I’ve researched and found things to make us both happy. Among other things, we’re learning sight words, and I’ve added an Electric Company-like drill.

"Hey You Guys!” remember this:

P
at
Pat

C
at
Cat

M
at
Mat

I’ve been humming the tune around the house for a week now. My kids think I’m weird, (what else is new?) but, by George, I do believe she’s learning!
Now how do I help her understand the concept of counting by 2's...


In knitting news - I actually got a little something out to my SP. It was something local that I know she'll never get.
Hope you like it!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Am new to your BLOG.
Are you actually home-schooling your girls? How many? How Many years have you been at it?
How will you survive?

Nittany Knits said...

Lots of wine and yarn will be necesary for her survival!

AnneKaelber said...

I'm home-schooling my son in the South (ugh!). Here's a link for some great phonics/spelling/reading rules that have helped us: http://www.lewrockwell.com/taylor/taylor27.html ---anything Linda Schrock Taylor writes about education is interesting and has potential ideas! Check her out.

Unknown said...

I got a Dick and Jane book from a Books Are Fun book fair. Books are Fun is run by Reader's Digest.

Anyway, the Dick and Jane book is hard-bound and has about 20 Dick and Jane stories in it.

You can also get it through Amazon.com for $8.79.